Saturday, April 16, 2011

Friday

My hair whipped around as the flags beat against their poles in the wind. Gray skies looming overhead and overshadowing tall buildings reaching upward. Downtown lacked that iridescent glow from silver buildings reflecting sunlight and brightly colored objects moving quickly, this way and that. The atmosphere opening up to trickles of water before the downpour of the rain to wash away the sludge. Cold and tired I watched the trees bow against the forces of mother nature's fury. Although I shuddered at the howling in my ears I made no haste to return inside, because inside were angry voices and the added aggravation to an already stressful day. Instead I longed to return to the comfort of my home where even if the storm hadn't passed I could be warm and relaxed. There would be no walks through the flowers and bustling people today, there would be no rays of warmth to soak up on the wooden benches. I pulled on my hood as if to hide and headed back in to finish my shift; hoping for a better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment